Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cup-Cones

Ok, coming up with a cute name for these has proved impossible, but they are damn awesome even without a name. I got this idea from Vegan Yum Yum and they came out even better then I could have expected, for the most part. This weekend I went up to Boston for Unrestrained show, as part of their bike tour to raise awareness for OXFAM. The show was a ton of fun and I was really impressed with Unrestrained. I decided I wanted to make some sort of after show treat for hanging out and these came to mind.
For the recipes, I used the basic chocolate cupcake out of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World and the vegan buttercream icing. I filled the cones almost all the way full, as you can tell from the photo. Next time, I will fill them a little less so the icing sits a little closer to the cone. The rest is pretty self explanatory, bake normal, pipe icing however you desire and decorate how you choose.
Mishaps:
I had a ton of trouble with the icing. I am really realizing how important using the proper vegan margarine is. My icing started to melt so fast, I didn't even bring them with me to Boston because they were a mess. I popped them in the fridge to attempt to harden them, and as soon as I would take them out they started to melt again. This is something I am going to have to work on. I also have to figure out how to transport these babies without toppling them over. I think it is going to involve creating some sort of cardboard container and getting crafty. Overall, even with the shortcomings, I would recommend making these.
Soundtrack for baking:
The Loved Ones- Build And Burn
Ghostlimb- Bearing and Distance
Tom Petty- Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment